In such situations where no tug boats are available, the captain of the ship, the pilot or the master are forced to use the anchor of the ship as well as the wires onboard so they can minimize the impact of the fall.
The entire action might be made by mooring ship in such a way where a ship is berthed alongside the quay employing a stern mooring shackled to the offshore anchor cable in the area of the "ganger length." The anchor offshore is being deployed and the weight on the cable and stern mooring action in unison to the ship just off the quay when approaching the berth process.
The entire process of the Baltic mooring is a safe option to berth a vessel in strong winds.
Photo credit: MarineInsight
Before Baltic mooring to be undertaken, there is a preparatory process that should be followed:
- A 30mm wire must be passed from the deck poop on the side on the offshore side from outside the hull and next clear any protrusions such as the gangway, the master etc.
- The second step: the anchor must be cockbiller, i.e. exempt a little from the hawse pipe begore letting the ship go, and a crew is lowered with a bosun's chair to tie up the wire to the anchor with a shackle at about the ganger's length.
- The wire's other end is taken "on turn" upon a mooring, which through a bight.
- When the vessel is already alongside of the berth and falling on it quickly, the ship's anchor is dropped keeping trickle headway so the anchor could holds.
- The wire from the ship's poop, which goes in with the anchor gets taught and effectively holds the fall of the stern, when the anchor is snubbed.
- Next, the chain of the anchor is slowly payed off and simultaneously the wire from the poop, while the onshore winds pushes the ship horizontally to the berth.
- As soon as the berthing ship is near - srpings, bow and stern lines are passed ashore with the heaving lines and the scope of the anchor regulated accordingly so as to bring the vessel slowly abreast the berth.
- Depending on the wind force and the ship's tonnage, the ship's anchor is being dropped 25-30 meters off the bert.