However, auxiliary vessel engines need permanent monitoring and support in order to run continuously and to avoid breakdown of the vessel.
It is pointless to mention that auxiliary ship engines require serious overhauling, routine checks and maintenance at some times. Any marine engineer must know the sings, which tend to overhauling of the auxiliary engine.
Here are 8 basic signs to check your auxiliary engine for:
1. Power Imbalance of the auxiliary engineThe marine engineer is obliged to monitor all auxiliary engine parameters, notably during taking performance readings of the engine. One very potential issue might be the combustion chamber to need immediate overhauling. You can recognize this problem if there is a high peak pressure variation in any of the auxiliary engine units as compared to the average pressure parameters.
2. Auxiliary engine Generator Not Taking Rated LoadThere are potential threat to encounter a serious trouble if the auxiliary engine generator isn't taking the rated load. The generator could need serious checkings and monitoring if signs like temperature of the engine is out of the limit, there are abnormal parameters that are usually of high importance or there are unusual fluctuations etc.
3. If you find White Metal Particles in the auxiliary engine filtersIf you find any metal particles in the auxiliary engine filters (despite being small or large), this indicates that a main wear-down of bearings is taking place. This issue requires instant overhauling of the faulty auxiliary engine unit.
4. Degradation of Lube Oil of the auxiliary engineThe quality of the lube oil in the auxiliary engine is of prime importance, as well so you must monitor its quality. If you find that the oil is degrading while checking it, you have to remove it before running hours limit due to sludge information, this issue might indicate blow past of the engine units. This auxiliary engine condition requires finding out the faulty unit followed by major overhauling.
5. Over-Speeding of the auxiliary engine GeneratorThe situation when uncontrolled acceleration of the engine takes place, lead mechanical failure and serious accidents is called over-speeding of auxiliary engine generation. This usually happens during the time of starting, but could be also encountered while it's running on load due to fuel pump getting stuck or any issue in the fuel system. You need to monitor whether your engine is over-speeding the take measures accordingly.
6. Unusual Knocking Sound of the auxiliary engineA very common problem of the auxiliary engine could be indicated its sound. Any marine engineer must be familiar with the usual working of the auxiliary engine. You must take an eye or rather an ear if you hear an unusual knocking sound, which may indicates a problem with the machinery system.
7. Abnormal Crankshaft Deflection Readings of the Auxiliary EngineAny engineer of a ship must take timely measurement of crankshaft i.e. crancshaft deflection with the assistance of dial gauge. If there are abnormal parameters, on levels above the standard limits, then the issue may be in the major bearings or alignment of crancshaft, and they require taking of instant action.
8. Running Hours of the auxiliary enginesLast but not the least, any marine engineer must monitor the running hours, because this is of prime importance, to know when the auxiliary engine would require next overhauling.
There are the most common important points for check out if your auxuliary engine needs full overhauling. If you know any other way to find out problems with the engines, let us know in the comments below.