Lake Triview detained for repairs, master to face charges for not reporting an incident

By Vessels

The maritime authorities in New Zealand have detained Lake Triview, a bulk carrier, at Port Taranaki because it has been damaged in an incident. 

The vessel ran into trouble on May 24 in rough seas near Plymouth (New Zealand North Island). At that time (24-25 May) Port Tranaki was closed due to the weather and vessels were sent to the sea. Lake Triview dragged its anchor but the storm was too heavy and sent the bulk carrier into rocks nearby.

Steve Rendle, spokesman from Maritime New Zealand (MNZ) confirmed the master of the vessel was charged under the Maritime Transport Act for not reporting the incident and the damage as soon as possible.

"The ship has been damaged, then headed back out to sea, re-anchored and then berthed as normal on Tuesday," he added.

Next Wednesday (June 4), the captain is due to appear in the New Plymouth district court.

According to Taranaki Daily News, the impact with the reef resulted in at least 12 holes, one was large enough for a diver to go through. No injury or pollution have been reported. The repairs of Lake Triview may take up to three months. The vessel was carrying soya meal cargo and according to its schedule, it had to leave the port last Friday (May 30).

An inspection and investigation into the incident is being conducted by MNZ. A spokesman with Phoenix Shipping Agencies Limited said it can't be confirmed or denied if the vessel had been damaged during the storm.

"Sometimes if conditions are severe, the anchor will drag and it appears that's what has happened. We have taken the ship to port so it can be assessed for damage, or the extent of the damage. It's now an issue between Maritime New Zealand and the vessel's owner," he added.

Lake Triview (IMO number 9400887 and MMSI 564361000) is registered in Singapore. The DWT 32,282-ton vessel was built in 2009 and it is owned by Orient Marine Co. Ltd. Current position of Lake Triview.