The design by Camarc provides break-through performance for the mid-sized market
The Port of Los Angeles recently awarded Vigor the contract to build two 56’ pilot boats. Camarc pilot boats are widely acknowledged worldwide as the gold standard for design quality and reliable performance, particularly in more extreme environmental conditions.
This smaller boat currently used throughout Europe, Australia and South America delivers the same consistent performance as the larger boats to the US mid-sized market.
The boat features a twin chine heavy weather hull form for excellent seakeeping. The design accommodates multiple heavy fender systems facilitating safer pilot transfers in challenging weather. An articulated rescue davit provides man overboard recovery. The overall design also maximizes the available horsepower and performance from a Tier III (non-catalyst) level engine.
“Vigor is excited to be able to offer these pilot boats to the dedicated professionals of the LA Port Pilots,” said Art Parker, Vigor sales manager. “Camarc has optimized this design to incorporate the significant seakeeping and safety of the larger pilot boats. The American mid-sized market has needed a world-class pilot boat at an acceptable acquisition and maintenance cost. This is without a doubt a proven break-through design.”
Vigor expects to complete construction of the boats by late summer of 2020.
- All Aluminum Construction
- Accommodates 2 crew/8 pilots
- Designer: Camarc Design
- Max speed: 27 knots
- Cruise speed: 24 knots
- Length, Overall: 55 ft – 4 in
- Beam, Overall: 16 ft- 5 in
- Fender System: Heavy Weather integrated Popsafe fender
- Design Displacement: 61,000 lbs
- Fuel Oil Capacity: 660 gal
- Freshwater Capacity: 66 gal
- Engine: Twin CAT C18 ACERT
- Engine Rating: 803 bhp @ 2,100 rpm Emission compliance: EPA Tier III, meets current CARB Commercial Harbor Craft emission requirements. (Non-Catalyst)
- Transmission: ZF665A-1
- Type: 5 bladed fixed pitched
- Material: NiBrAl
- GENSET: Northern Lights M844DW3
- Rating: 16 kW, 120/240 VAC, 60 Hz
- Furuno navigation/electronics system
Additional information about the Port of Los Angeles at CruiseMapper