Mitsui Engineering & Shipbuilding Co., Ltd. (MES) has obtained Bureau Veritas Approval in Principle (AIP) for the noah-FPSO Hull and associated design and construction methods following American Bureau of Shipping.
This AIP provides assurance of the feasibility and reliability of the noah-FPSO Hull design.
FPSO hull under construction at MES Chiba shipyard - Image courtesy of MES
The noah-FPSO Hull is a next generation FPSO – Floating Production, Storage and Offloading – platform, and “noah” stands for New Offshore Adapted Hull. The hallmark of the noah-FPSO Hull is that it allows a flexible approach to design and construction of the hull reflecting production requirements, rather than adjusting the production facilities to the hull’s design.
Its unique features are as follows:
- The noah-FPSO Hull can be applied to any operational field as a platform, optimizing both EPCI processes and operation and maintenance.
- The wide deck area of the noah-FPSO Hull permits the installation of more complex and heavier topsides in comparison with conventional FPSO conversions.
- The modular design concept of the noah-FPSO Hull, assembling appropriate modules, meets the wide variety of requirements of individual oil fields, and provides for flexibility in the event of design changes – as is common in FPSO projects.
- The standardized fore/aft modules and the parallel-body module with adjustable length can be separately constructed at different shipyards, significantly expanding options for construction location, as well as scheduling based on dock availability.
- The unique hull form of the noah-FPSO Hull consists of flat or 2-dimensional bending plates, which can reduce construction costs while improving operability and availability against green water or slamming loading.
Applying the noah-FPSO Hull as a platform for the FPSO allows a new business model for FPSO projects, and additionally in order to provide fast-track and flexible solutions to challenging FPSO projects, MES has launched an open alliance, the “noah-Alliance”.
Joining the noah-Alliance enables any shipyard around the world to construct the noah-FPSO Hulls using MES engineering services with a design and construction license and functional design package.
MES is now marketing the noah-FPSO Hull to achieve the common platform in expectation that the FPSO market will expand significantly.